Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, May 6, 2011

Re writing your story

Once life drops a challenge like Autism , we realize that the story we were living in, has met with an unexpected twist
In the minutes, that it takes the psychologist to tell us that our child has autism, we can find that our story is going to be completely different from that of our friends.
That, in fact, we are going to be living in a completely different genre of stories
We search for those with stories like ours
And we find them
We tell them our story
And we listen to theirs
We give comfort
And we feel comforted
And that was the way it was with me
But as time passed, I saw that I could rewrite my story
Indeed it was critical to do so
I realized that the most important story that I will ever tell, is the one I tell myself.
About me and my life.
And that I am not just the central character of my life
But also the author
Its most important audience
And the narrator
And so the story I started to write, has become a story of gifts and gratitude and love
And not a story of loss and fear and guilt
And I see my child as different, even gifted
And have stopped seeing him as broken
I have come to see the difficulties of my life
But am still deeply aware of its essential goodness
And I find that I am not living in a sad story
Or even a second best story
And that the story that began so promisingly with “once upon a time” does end on a “happily ever after”
Because this is my story
And that is how I write .


K Floortime Lite Mama writes her story of her life with her 6 year old son and Autism at Floortime Lite Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment